Wednesday, January 17, 2007

★★ 龙抄手 (LongChaoShou) - Chengdu

LongChauShou - Dan-dan mianLongChaoShou is a famous Sichuan local cuisine restaurant in Chengdu, they focus on a variety of popular dishes such as the 龙抄手 (long chao shou) spicy wontons, 钟水饺 (zhong sui jiao) boiled dumplings, and noodle dishes as well. During my first trip I tried their 担担面 (dan dan mian) dan-dan noodles.

The Sauce - is a mixture of chili oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, peppers and a large variety of exotic Sichuan spices. Dan-dan noodles are suppose to be spicy and filled with the aroma from the different spices, but here the sauce is a little too salty.

The Noodles - are thin straight noodles cooked soft. Hardly any texture to these noodles, maybe this is the standard for Sichuan noodles but I didn't enjoy these soft noodles much.

Long Chau Shou - store frontThe Toppings - are some dried fried pork and a few leaves of spinach. The pork adds a lot of flavor to the noodles when you mix it well with everything but doesn't add any texture to the dish.

Overall - the sauce and noodles were dissapointing. The famous dan-dan noodle combination of aroma and spiciness just didn't quite hit the mark, while the noodles were too soggy for my preference. LongChauShou does have a lot of other authentic dishes for you to try out and is worth coming for their wontons and dumplings.

LongChauShou's has many chain stores all over Chengdu, though the store I visited is their original store which is located on Southern entrance to the ChunXi road shopping district.

7 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger mapudayo said...

Hi, I just stumbled onto your site, but just spent an hour reading through some of your stuff! haha! I love it -- I'm a self-proclaimed ramen-expert myself. :) Too bad you seemed to have stopped more than a year ago. Anyway, cheers for doing this. :)

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful site!
Please link to this site.

http://ramen-life.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful site!
Please link to this site.

http://ramen-life.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Kengot said...

I really surprised by finding this blog!!
I'm going to follow this.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Blake and Hollie said...

I just happened to find your site also. I must say I am very hungry now. I love ramen. We live in Okinawa and I am hooked on the Okinawa Soba, but have found a new place called Netsuretsu Tantanmen Ichibantei. It is SO delicious. Are you familiar with it?

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous ike said...

"Ramen from Japan, China, and the rest of Asia. A guide to all different varieties of authentic ramen and it's history. "


>> should be "its" history

don get mixed up on its and its

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Penny said...

I just found your site and I absolutely love it. I plan on reading everything here. However, your last post came 3 years ago. I hope you may decide to add some new content soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home